Managing Director - Consultancy business.
High growth consulting business in the Higher Education sector.
About Our Client
The Canadian division has been established since 2016 and is part of a global network of established businesses.
Provide leadership to the Canadian business across a range of functions; including strategic planning and management, developing new product offerings, growing new business opportunities, leading the delivery of quality services to clients, developing new intellectual capital and developing team and consulting capability.
Working in a key sector (Education) advising senior leaders with scope to have significant impact. For example, in 2017 four Australian universities invested $250m extra in their teaching and research programs because of freeing up budget previously allocated to administration.
Play a key role in leading and delivering our next major phase of growth. Significant growth opportunities in the US (initially from Toronto office), the UK and Europe.
Organizations culture - Flat structure, able to get involved, show initiative, contribute to ideas and challenge each other to deliver the best outcomes. Small business environment, opportunity to get down into the detail as well as be a key member of the Executive team working across our business operations globally. Supportive & flexible working environment. Limited travel required.
This is a great opportunity for someone who is ready to make the next step in their career.
Ideally a candidate with an entrepreneurial mindset, someone who has a history of delivery in helping institutional based clients.
A preference for universities/government clients to make the practical and leading strategic changes needed to succeed in a much more competitive environment.
The position will work alongside the Group Managing Director and other regional Managing Directors to shape the future success of the organization through several areas requiring leadership focus:
- Strategic planning and management: The Managing Director will play a key role in providing input and direction to the ongoing expansion and profitability of the clients Higher Education business within the Canadian marketplace and contribute to the global expansion outside Canada. This will include contributing to the strategic planning and management across various dimensions such as markets, products, clients and financials.
- Developing new product offerings: The Managing Director will contribute to developing new product offerings within the Higher Education sector that build on the current service offerings or create new services offerings that broaden the client's business within the Higher Education sector.
- Growing new business opportunities: The Managing Director will be responsible for growing relationships with existing clients and developing true partnership relationships with current, new and emerging clients within the Higher Education sector. Client relationships within model are long-lasting and based on true partnership and accountability so the Managing Director will be expected to be a role model in this respect.
- Leading the delivery of quality services to clients: The Managing Director will be responsible for overseeing the delivery of quality services to clients. This includes responsibility for data collection and the services supporting this process, the reporting back to clients of the results and new insights and leading the consulting support for agreed studies. In leading consulting support, the Managing Director will be responsible for the development of hypotheses with client management and applying strong data analytics to develop insights into the efficiency and effectiveness of client service operations. It also includes delivering presentations and reports to executive management on these insights.
- Supporting the development and use of the client's intellectual capital: The Managing Director will be expected to support the development and extension of intellectual capital on how to support Higher Education institutions transform their support service operations to deliver more efficient and effective services in support of teaching and research.
- Developing team and organizational capability: The Managing Director will be responsible for recruiting, coaching and developing the staff needed to support the end-to-end delivery of services. The Director will also be responsible for managing team cohesion and utilization and working in collaboration with the other offices to share workload where the opportunity or need arises.
- Corporate conduct: The Managing Director will be responsible for ensuring that the Canada business delivers its services and manages its staff with the highest levels of integrity and honesty.
The Successful Applicant
- Essential - A minimum of eight years plus progressive business development experience into universities or government clients. Successful track record in business development for professional services involving multi-year commitments by the client and requiring multiple stakeholders to be convinced.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with senior executives in discussions about significant strategic choices on how services could be delivered within complex organizations
- Deep understanding of back-office service operations and the challenges the management of these services face
- Deep understanding of how data can be used to inform decisions and experience with presenting data in ways that assist executives to make decisions
- Demonstrable experience using analytical techniques commonly used in data science applications or econometrics and being able to explain these benefits to executives
- Experience working in small business in a professional services context and demonstration of the resourcefulness that is required in this context
- Experience leading, building and developing talent in professional services teams
What's on Offer
Competitive salary, bonus and opportuity for growth.