Director of Global Procurement
Exciting opportunity to join a leading brand!
About Our Client
Michael Page has partnered with a rapidly growing Consumer Packaged Goods company to find a Director of Global Procurement to join their team. Headquartered in Vancouver, the company is one of the largest manufacturers in British Columbia with products distributed around the world. Their brand is continuously recognized as a leader in the industry after more than 50 years of business.
Their continued growth has created an exciting opportunity for someone to lead the Global Procurement function. This position will play a key part in the strategy, profitability and improvement of the Procurement team.
The company prides itself on offering their employees a positive culture, work-life balance, career growth and ability to make a significant impact.
The Director of Procurement is a strategic role critical for the profitability of the company. This position will provide direction and leadership to the Procurement department staff. The primary internal contacts for this position are: VP Global Planning, Operations, Planning, Inventory, Manufacturing, Warehousing & Distribution, Quality, Sales, Finance, Product Development, and Formulations. External contacts are primarily Suppliers of materials and goods.
The Director of Procurement will oversee all activities related to direct and indirect procurement, including, but not limited to raw materials, bulk products, packaging components, subcontract manufacturing, IT and general-expense related purchases. This position is responsible for the development and implementation of commodity strategy plans, management of supplier relationships and expert negotiation skills. The position requires daily coordination with various internal teams and is necessary to ensure overall tactical responsiveness. This position requires a natural ability to negotiate, analyze and make decisions and is vital to the company's success.
The Director of Procurement will take into consideration the company's commitment to sustainability (people, the planet, and profit) in the planning and implementation of all actions related to their area of responsibility.
- The primary responsibility of this role is to direct the development of procurement strategies and policies and identify areas for improvement
- Work with senior leaders in developing business plans, supporting company and group initiatives, assisting with change management, and monitoring the implementation of business plans to ensure executed consistently
- Direct the Procurement staff by clearly communicating job responsibilities and company and departmental goals and providing direction to attain procurement strategies
- Create and implement KPI's, MBO's and procurement metrics for the department and individual staff
- Source, build and develop long term relationships with key suppliers ensuring best price, quality and reputable supply
- Motivate and assist the Procurement team in fostering effective partnerships with key suppliers
- Monitor trends and changes in supplier and contract base with a proactive approach to changes
- Reviews financial and performance data with management to achieve budgeted results
- Analyze current spend to develop appropriate cost saving strategies
- Track and manage inventory investment against procurement activity and metrics
- Review material requirements and services, prepare purchase requisitions and issue purchase orders in accordance with specifications, company policy and negotiated terms and conditions
- Develop service level agreements with suppliers outlining performance metrics with agreed upon remedies for non-performance
- Monthly participation in Sales & Operations (S&OP) planning and other meetings
- Researches, analyzes and ensures successful implementation of company best practices across all functional areas
- Keeps abreast of critical issues and works with management and staff troubleshooting and positively impacting outcomes
- Adheres to a culture of professionalism, operational excellence and drive for results
- Will lead process excellence and continuous improvement efforts with little supervision
- Other duties as assigned
The Successful Applicant
- Requires bachelor's degree in Engineering, Business Administration or related discipline
- A minimum of 10 years relevant experience in procurement and strategic sourcing, preferably, but not limited to, consumer packaged goods or pharmaceutical manufacturing environments
- Experience in leading a team in a fast paced environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of MRP computer systems and familiar with MPS, S&OP process, B.O.M. & W.I.P. posting and reconciliation procedures
- Advanced level in computer skills with MS Excel and Access, demonstrated ability in logic functions, pivot tables and complex formulas and working knowledge of SharePoint Services
- Successfully partners with Finance and IT regarding set up and tracking of budgets, KPI's and MBO's and reporting
- Remarkable negotiation skills, pursuing win-win outcomes
- Strong leadership presence, people focused with proven ability to motivate high level performance work teams
- Ability to remain focused on core processes despite outside influence
- Strong organizational and planning skills, as well as attention to detail
- High sense of urgency and ability to multitask and to adapt to quickly changing priorities
- A high focus on exceeding customer needs with internal and external clients
- Ability to operate both in the details as well as at a strategic/macro level
- Excellent written, interpersonal and presentation communication skills
- Possesses excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; anticipates potential procurement issues and resolves them
- Expert in interacting with and motivating team members and peers to anticipate and resolve day-to- day issues and competing project priorities
What's on Offer
- Relocation available
- Competitive compensation package
- Career growth opportunities in a company and market that is expanding globally
- Work-life balance. Located in the beautiful British Columbia, ideal place for people who loves outdoors, team members are able to have a balance between work and life.
- Opportunity for people who wants to make an impact. Have the ability to develop a new process, a new system or implement new ideas.